To use ASUS Tablet tethering with a Ubuntu 12.04LTS laptop, you should follow the steps:
On Ubuntu 12.04LTS:
- Make sure from Power Properties that the laptop does nothing when the lid if colsed.
- Make sure that in Desktop Sharing:
- Allow other users to view your desktop
- Allow other users to control your desktop
- Add a password.
- Show Notification Area Icon only when someone is connected.
On the tablet, which is connected by USB to the laptop:
- Enable USB tethering on tablet:
- Goto: Settings-> Wireless & networks-> Tethering & portable hotspot
- Make sure USB tethering is checked
- Find the ip address of the laptop's usb0 device:
- In a terminal run 'ifconfig'. locate the usb0 device
- Write down the 'inet addr' for the device.
- Start androidVNC program on the tablet:
- Enter ip address from step 2 into the 'Address' box.
- Click 'Connect'
- The pass is the same as above, and the Port should be the default one.
Alternate approach using vnc4server on Ubuntu 12.04
sudo apt-get install vnc4server
vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1280x750
on first start it will request you set a password, no shorter than 6 digits, and more than 8 digits may be ignored
vncserver -kill :1
~/.vnc/xstartup you may want to add something like
[ -d $HOME/scripts ] && export PATH=$HOME/scripts:$PATH
and set the terminal geometry to e.g. 80x10+10+520
set do nothing on lid close and no screen blanking in system settings (I am using gnome classic, not unity) and also set
in androidvnc use port 5901, set force full screen bitmap ON, 24 bit color
tap and hold to drag mouse
tap and hold to get zoom and keyboard icons