If you are in charge of running either the Spring or Fall Cookout, follow the directions listed below and all shall go smoothly. After you have successfully run a Cookout for ACM, please update the wiki with any changes that were needed to this directions page, and add any notes below for future Events Chair persons.
Make sure that the scheduled day is going to be warm enough that people will show up and not freeze.
- Fall: As early in the Spring as possible.
- Spring: They are usually scheduled the second week in April, on Wednesday's during activities period.
Between West Village G and West Village H- ask for "the West Village Quad"
- Reserve the grill two months prior.
- To reserve a grill you must visit the Office of Dining Services in Stetson West. The address is 15 Speare Place, but the door is on Hemingway st.
- Or call (617)373-2530
- they will fax confirmation sheet to main office if you give them their fax number
- Things you need to know when reserving the grill:
- The Date of the event
- The time you will pick it up (one hour before Cookout)
- How many you will need (just one grill)
- Whether or not you need charcoal and lighter fluid (nope!)
- Whether you need them to provide the food (nope!)
- Double check grill reservation two weeks before Cookout is scheduled.
- Request fire permit through public safety office (located at 100 Columbus Place) one month prior to Cookout. (Click Here for Info)
- For this must know:
- Starting and ending time
- What kind of grill
- Estimation of how many people will be attending it
- Need to give your name, email, and phone number on the form
Shopping should take place a few days before the Cookout. Make sure that someone near campus has room in their fridge/freezer to hold the foods that should stay cold over night. Also make sure that this person will be available during the time that the Cookout is run so you can actually get the food. Keeping non-perishable items in 258 WVH is a good idea!
- Hamburgers (about 120)
- Veggie burgers (about 24)
- Hot dogs (about 12)
- Burger buns (enough for hamburgers and veggie burgers)
- Hot dog buns (enough for hot dogs)
- Cheese (not individually wrapped):
- American white: 2 24 packs
- American yellow: 2 24 packs
- Chips: 6-8 bags
- Soda: variety 7-8 3 liter bottles
- Large bottle ketchup
- Large bottle mustard
- Plates (100)
- Napkins (One generic brand bag)
- Solo Cups (40-50)
- 2 Rolls of paper towels
- Other (Make sure we don't have some already):
- 2-3 bags of Kingston match light coal
- Lighter Fluid
Pick up the grill one hour prior to start of Cookout. You will need 3-4 people for this, and be prepared to leave a student ID as well as a $50 deposit with dining services.
Lighting the grill
ONLY ONE PERSON should be in charge of lighting the grill.
Start with 2 bags of the Kingston match light charcoal piled about two coals high at one end of the grill, light in several places and wait for fire to die down after 10 minutes.
ONLY IF FIRE DOES NOT CATCH should you be using lighter fluid - remember the a well lit bed of charcoal will not actually show visible flames until you begin to cook. A good way to judge if the fire is lit is to feel for heat rising off from the coals.
You should not need the third bag of coal unless the first have nearly burnt away.
Pick up the fire extinguisher one hour prior to start of Cookout.
Bring at least 2, one for regular burgers and the other for veggie-burgers. Try to assign one or two volunteers to man the grill beforehand.
Ask for 4-8 people to stick around after the Cookout and help clean up - ALWAYS LEAVE THE AREA AS CLEAN IF NOT CLEANER THAN HOW YOU FOUND IT!
You will need 3-4 people to return the YES - STILL HOT grill to dining services. REMEMBER to get your student ID and $50 deposit back.
Return Fire extinguisher
You will need one person to return the fire extinguisher to public safety after the Cookout has ended.
Update the wiki
After you have successfully run a Cookout for ACM, please update the wiki with any changes that were needed to this directions page, and add any notes below for future Events Chair persons.